The transition to studying at University is a challenge for everyone. For many it is one of the most stressful times of their lives.
University life is hugely rewarding. It offers young a chance to spread their wings: to advance their studies; to learn independence; and to grow as people.
Unfortunately the complex and dynamic nature of University can make this a difficult time for people.
Students can be affected by:
- being away from home for the first time, and feeling homesick for family, friends and the familiar
- worrying about money. There is never enough and budgeting could be a new concept. Some will need to find jobs to cover the extra costs.
- having to shop, cook, and clean up after themselves. Healthy eating often goes out the window to start with.
- making new friends and dealing with new social situations. This also includes developing personal relationships and exploring sexuality.
- studying, which requires a whole new level of organisation and independent learning
The good news is that this is the perfect time to learn to manage these feelings and situations. University is the beginning of the independent phase of a young persons life and the ideal time to learn to make their life as happy and effective as they want it to be.
Coaching at this stage can help to develop the skills needed to manage the complexities of life. It helps gain clarity on the issues being faced and focuses energy on one issue at a time. Coaching helps students set priorities and maximise their impact on getting tasks done.
Coaching is for people who want to be the best them. I do not believe people are ever broken, but sometimes we need help simplifying the complexity of life and focusing energy. The process is completely confidential and students have reported that sometimes the greatest value is having an unconnected person to talk to.
By improving students’ relationship with the things going on around them it makes them feel more in control and less concerned about new things and unanticipated change. Students that I have coached have seen a significant reduction in anxiety and a marked improvement in well being.
The goal is to thrive at University, not just survive. Through Coaching students will see an improvement in happiness, effectiveness and resilience.
Please get in touch if you’d like to discuss how I might be able to help. The first session is free and will allow us to cover how I work and what you need.